And got it working! It sees pressure changes and everything. It actually wasn't that hard, but it did require some changes. Here's what I had to do:
- Install wacom-tools and xinput
- Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment out those ForceDevice lines that say "Tablet PC ONLY".
- Reconcile the difference between udev creating /dev/input/wacom and xorg.conf using /dev/wacom: you can either change xorg.conf, change /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules, or symlink /dev/input/wacom to /dev/wacom (that's what I did for testing, but it won't survive a reboot, so I'll have to pick a device name and make udev and X consistent).
A useful tool for testing is
(part of the xinput package).
That's a lot faster than going through GIMP's input device
preference panel every time.
I added some comments to Ubuntu's bug 73160, where people had already described some of the errors but nobody had posted the steps to work around the problems.
While I was fiddling with GIMP on the laptop, I decided to install the packages I needed to build the latest CVS GIMP there. It needed a few small tweaks from the list I used on Dapper. I've updated the package list on my GIMP Building page accordingly.
[ 16:12 Dec 09, 2006 More linux | permalink to this entry | comments ]