What Should I Name My New Car?
Sad news: Pyrite was retired on 3/20/98.
At just short of 250k miles, some of it on the east coast and other snowy
areas, the underside of the body is just too rusted out.
Pyrite's race parts have been transplanted into a
red-over-brown '86 body, with a brand-new engine block
(the one that was slated to go into Pyrite) and Pyrite's old head.
5/6/98: I finally got the new car! So now I need a name for it.
The new car is rosso over grigio scuro met.,
i.e. orangish-red over metallic dark grey-brown.
I don't have any pictures of it yet.
This is not actually my car, just an image I found on
Jonathan Mason's web page of an X1/9 with the same color scheme.
Mine is lower in the rear, less shiny,
and has aluminum, not red, colored wheels.
Another car with this paint scheme is on the
a French X1/9 maintenance book.
Here are the choices I've thought of so far:
I'm not sure any of these quite grab me yet, so
send me your suggestions!
- Snapdragon ('cause I like the ones I planted in my front yard)
- Alberio (well, it's red plus another color :-)
- Mars (about the right shades of red and brown, but not a great name)
- Ares (see above,
but I can see people saying "Aries? Oh, I'm a Libra")
- Vixen (if I can get used to thinking of it as female
and stop confusing it with the dog I used to have by that name,
but I don't think I can)
- Volpe (Italian for fox, but yuck)
- Vulpecula (what an unfortunately disphonious name)
- Velociraptor (no particular reason)
- Redshift (so THAT's why it's red!)
- Arcturus (about the right color for the "rosso" part)
- Alioth (no particular reason, I just like the name)